Wednesday, July 29, 2009

DAILY ROUTINE

There is a fine line between being active and having every living part of you ache. I’ve not found that line as yet. My early morning one and a half mile brisk walk results in drenched clothes, sweat stinging my eyes, and a rapid heart rate. When did I get old?

I wake up in the morning and have to stretch my body to get going, the crackling sounds tell me I need to drink more water. In doing so, I’d be making four trips during the middle of the night instead of the ritual two to the bathroom. The daily walk in the fresh air is supposed to help and by the time I am back in my kitchen, drinking water, the snapping, creaking sounds have subsided. Ah, I am warmed up for the day.

The shower feels wonderful, the drive to work is tolerable, but the walk from van to office is often difficult. The old muscles have melted into inactivity, uric acid has seeped back into place, and the effort to put one foot in front of the other hurts.

Getting old can be painful. Being old and out of shape is hell. How does one repair the physical damage done by years of disregarding needed exercise? Trying to correct those years of neglect with a band-aid of stretching and water is ineffective. How does one face their own stupidity? With a water bottle, and slogging one and a half miles every morning, and sweating, and hoping you can do it all over again the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home