Friday, June 24, 2011

“Killing me softly with sweetness”

The tv hero is grazed by a bullet or stabbed and they bravely wrap up the injury to curb the bleeding and go about their merry way – usually running for their life, etc. Nothing is ever said about pain It is ignored. What are these heroes made of?

I cut my toenail too short and practically did the same thing – antiseptic gel and off to work. But I felt it from time to time during the day. Two days later I dropped a chair on it and let me be the first to tell you I am not made of the same stuff of tv heroes! By now the toe took on a reddish hue and I figured I really bruised it. . … even limped a bit. I started wearing sandals so it had room as the swelling would be going down – which it did until three days later when I tripped, barefoot, on my carpet sweeper. This injury brought me to tears and I bled profusely. It hurt like hell. Injury upon injury upon injury.

A person has “one” bite of a piece of cake, or chocolate, or cinnamon roll and the sugar injury begins. Bite after bite of putting that into one’s system is injury upon injury upon injury. And, like the tv hero, they are running for their lives in trying to avoid the consequences of the sugar poison. They are hurting themselves and go about their merry way. Until the pain becomes too great.

Pain from sugar? Yes, most evident, weight gain and all the social implications that go along with it – emotional pain. Internal damage making some organs work harder, stressing the metabolism, and some shutting down – unseen physical pain that cause dis-ease with one’s body: diabetes, hypertension, kidney failure.

Reality Check – Sugar is sweet poison that is putting injury upon injury upon injury on our bodies. And the sad thing is, it is as insidious as alcohol or tobacco or street drugs… because it all makes one feel good… because it is all-comforting for whatever one perceives their life’s problems to be.

Reality check - Sugar kills.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home